If you suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) you have our sympathy, says skin expert, Sue Ibrahim from Elan Medical Skin Clinics in central London and Rayleigh, Essex.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition that affects how our ovaries work. As well as causing problems when trying to get pregnant, the condition also leads to a number of other symptoms. Not all women with PCOS will have all of the symptoms, and each can vary from mild to severe.
Common symptoms of PCOS
- irregular periods or no periods at all
- difficulty getting pregnant (because of irregular ovulation or failure to ovulate)
- excessive hair growth (hirsutism) – usually on the face, chest, back or bum
- weight gain
- thinning hair and hair loss from the head
- oily skin or acne
- skin pigmentation disorders (such as melasma a common skin condition that causes the appearance of brown to gray-brown patches of skin)
It is high levels of “male hormones” in our body that cause physical signs such as excess facial or body hair, oily skin and acne. Some women can also experience depression and mood swings because the symptoms of PCOS can affect their confidence and self-esteem.
How can Elan Medical Skin Clinic help?
Polycystic ovary syndrome can’t be cured but the symptoms can be managed – and this is where our central London and Essex skin experts can help.
Fantastic advances in modern skin treatments mean that no-one has to feel self conscious about acne or the resulting scars. We have a wide variety of treatment options to help control acne and prevent scarring. Evidence suggests that a combination of treatments can produce a better outcome and help keep acne under control.
- Prescription medications to reduce the outbreak of spots
- Elan Medical DermaActive Acne Programme
- LED Phototherapy to reduce facial redness
- Elan Medical skin peels for superficial blemishes and scars
- Fractional skin resurfacing for deep acne scars
We have invested in one of the very best laser hair removal machines available to ensure that people of all skin types, skin colours and hair types can achieve hair-free skin. The Soprano ICE can treat every part of the body, including the most intimate areas, painlessly, quickly and effectively.
We offer blood tests that can check for hormone imbalance and medication to correct any hormone imbalances.
At Elan Medical Skin Clinics in Essex and central London, our award-winning nurse consultant in dermatology uses a highly effective treatment programme to reduce the signs of photodamage and ageing that result in fine lines, age spots, skin laxity, an uneven, dull complexion and hyperpigmentation.